Help with Supports and Accommodations in Child Care

The Inclusive Child Care Program can help families and child care providers when children need exceptionally close supervision, special accommodations or other supports for safe and appropriate care.   Here are a few key points about these services:

  • We support child care providers who offer care in a variety of settings who are working with children and youth from birth up to their 18th birthday who may experience disabilities, emotional/behavioral disorders or special health care needs.
  • Inclusive Child Care Program (ICCP) specialists work with parents and child care providers to complete a “high need child care assessment.”  The assessment helps the specialists know what a provider must do that is different than the care and supervision needed by most children the same age.   A written individualized summary is provided to the child care provider after the “high need child care assessment” meeting to offer the child care provider practical ideas and suggestions for supporting inclusion in the child care setting.  ICCP staff do not diagnose special needs, and our assessment of children in child care is not intended to be used as the basis for a diagnosis.
  • On-going consultation and training supports are available to the child care provider.
  • The Inclusive Child Care Program offers Professional Development Training year- round.  The course offerings can be viewed HERE.  Staff have a variety of backgrounds in special needs, so if you would like a training you do not see listed, call to ask what else we might be able to offer.

Is my family eligible?

Child care assistance through the Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS)

ICCP works with families receiving child care assistance through the Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS).

DHS has two rates for children with higher level special needs.  One is the “special need rate.”   The other is the “high need rate.”  Both require documentation of the child’s special need.  The documentation required can be an Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP), an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), a 504 Plan, or documentation from other specialists.

The high need rate is for children with exceptionally high or complex care needs.   It is individualized for each child, and is determined by an observation/assessment and rating scale done by ICCP staff.  Here’s a link with more detail: DHS HN Information for Parents and Providers; in Spanish HN Information for Parents & Providers in Spanish .

If you’d like to know more about the difference between the DHS “Special Needs Rate” and the DHS “High Need Rate” click this link:” DHS SN and HN Rates

The Oregon Department of Human Services website provides general information about the DHS child care assistance program, including eligibility and how to apply. Here’s a link to the DHS site: DHS Employment Related Day Care

How do I request help?

The first step is to contact the Inclusive Child Care Program.  Call 1 -(866) 837 – 0250 or (971) 673 – 2286 or email us at  We look forward to hearing from you!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email